Family: A social unit where the father is concerned with parking space, the children with outer space, and the mother with closet space. ~Evan Esar

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Craft Bag Gift


Sometimes (at least for me) the hardest part about doing crafts with my kiddos is the actual purchasing of the supplies. My mom has done a craft box for my kids in the past and I so enjoyed having things on hand. So...crazy me decided to do this for my husband's side of the family - for six kids!
It's kinda hard to get excited about this kind of gift during the actual opening of the gifts (kids like TOYS right then and we parents have a hard time opening up a gift that has more than 3 pieces to that toy...and plus, this gift was for a later time. And when 10 kids are opening a gazillion gifts at once, who has time to get excited and appreciate each one? Traditions...different in each family. Hey, at least it went quicker - ha! And I know my sister-in-law, K, had enjoyed a craft gift for the boys a couple years ago and they all loved it, so I figured I was safe in doing this gift.)
Here is what I put together...took awhile but it was something I wanted to do. It was fun to do something special like my mother.

Paper bag for making a puppet, sticky-back foam and fuzzy pipe for ears or antennas...already had these supplies...
Stickers...99 cents...
Creative scissors (harder to cut with so hopefully no boo-boos or hair cuts!) My husband of course asked, "Didn't they have anything besides pink?" Nope. Not enough at the store I was in....$8.99 for a pack...
Wrapped with tape so they couldn't have fun until Mom helped them!
In bag: scissors, glue stick (bought a pack),...the glitter and googly eyes already had in my stash...Carton of stickers..$7.99 and 40% coupon...pom poms $1.99...had the other stickers shown here...
In bag ready to go...6 sheets of paper per kid...already had on hand...
Dinosaur mold & paint magnet kit ($5.99)...Race car mold and paint kit ($3.99)...decorate your own piggy bank ($6.99) (I think those prices are close!) ...plus a 40% coupon on one of those!
Had to purchase two sets of these but was able to use a 40% coupon on one...Personalized bags...had stencil and paint on hand (had purchased a different kind of paint, but that was a mess and didn't work well...ugh. Luckily this worked great!)...
The finished product...had all the tissue on hand...

*Hobby Lobby and Target is where I purchased most of these items*

A side note: You could give these out all during the winter season... Once the 'stuck indoors syndrome' hits mid-February, they could have something to entertain them! I take craft time as a time to do something with my kids - be involved with them for a few moments.

4 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I love this idea -- fun and very creative!
BTW - awarding you the Stylish Blogger Award - for more info about it go to my blog....http://estherscardcreations.blogspot.com/

Liz said...

That's a great idea!

And I'm planning to make that caramel sauce you posted the recipe for... it says "until mixture comes to a full boil, about 5-6 minutes." I wanted to clarify whether that meant it will take 5-6 minutes to get to a full boil, or keep it at a full boil for 5-6 minutes... Sorry to bother about it, but I didn't want to have to make another batch if I messed it up!

Merry Christmas!

Kim M. said...

Dear Melly, Because I love your ideas...
I awarded you with a Stylish Blogger award. Details on my blog. It is a tool to bring my readers to your blog. However, please don’t feel pressure if you aren’t interested in participating… as it is time-consuming to follow the directions.

Kim M. said...

Melly, I just realized your mom had already given you that award..... However, I am leaving your blog on mine so people will visit it. :-)